Monday, May 7, 2007

Thank You, Jesus!

I have a confession to make.

I might have a little bit of a thing for the southern belle type. Ok, maybe it's a big thing. In fact, it might be bordering on "ginormous" or even "gargantuan."

From a personality perspective, I'm not all about your stereotypical southern gal -- I tend to like women who are fiesty, well-traveled, and have a bit of the tough girl in them. The ones that can banter like a champ, have a competitive streak, and make me feel like I've met my match.

Physically, though? Put the girl next door in a cute little sundress and a big floppy hat, and you will immediately destroy any chance I had of forming a logical coherent thought. I become a little puddle of LMNt on the ground, unable to process anything except the visions of beauty dancing before my eyeballs.

That's why this was my own little version of the happiest place on earth. Screw those Disney people -- it's all about the steeple chase. 'Course, the fact that the alcohol started flowing around 9 am or so probably didn't hurt too much. Come to think of it, this picture, although it was taken two years before and I wasn't there, pretty succinctly sums up everything that made Saturday a little slice of heaven. Take a look at it. Little sundresses everywhere and lots of liquor right up front. To top it off, conversation topics ranged from how many bottles can fit in a purse that already contains 3 pairs of shoes, two hats, and a big pink fleece to how best to properly harness, support, and display a beautifully ample bosom. The par-tay bus there and back was the icing on the cake.

Afterwards, we headed to Adams Morgan for a Kentucky Derby party thrown by a beautiful & gracious host. Good times were had by (almost) all. Excellent Saturday, even if I hadn't had 18 hours of drinking.

To sum up:
- wear a sundress = poke my achilles heel
- Steeple chases rock.
- If you find yourself with an extra invitation to a steeple chase, please for the love of dog send it my way. I'll be eternally in your debt.

8 comments:

mandy said...

From a personality perspective, I'm not all about your description of a stereotypical southern gal.

That's an ignorance on your behalf. I find it rather offensive. Which I'm allowed, just as you're allowed to write it.

But I assure you, southern born and raised as I am, that there are quite a lot of us who are fiesty, well-traveled, and tough.

We just do it in pearls and with a lot more style.

LMNt said...

Mandy -- I used the word "stereotypical" because I was addressing a stereotype. I know plenty of fun, fiesty southern girls. The stereotype of "southern belle," however, implies something a little different.

SWF42 said...

No, that is the exact 'southern belle' stereotype. Just because we're not in your face with our fiestiness (okay, I have to take myself out of that description, because I pretty much am in your face with it), doesn't mean we don't have it. Steel Magnolias isn't just the name of a movie.

Your typical southern belle is a hardass, just one with a smile that will melt butter and great shoes. :-D

Which, of course, is what makes us adorable. And we thank you for your appreciation. :-D

sunchaser said...

I'm not a typical Southerner, moi non plus. I wouldn't go so far as to call the stereotype "offensive" (partly because it does ring true for many people) but I thank God I don't have a Southern accent. I actually don't like pearls (or any other jewelry - I don't like the feeling of metal on skin - too many bad memories ;)

But I would agree that most Southerners like their liquour. I know quite a few "Maker's Mark Ambassadors" (the factory tour is apparently pretty cool).

Anonymous said...

well.. im from the south..
and well.. i certainly know..that ANY man a girl from my part of the world sets her sights on.. stands very little chance... sometimes it is fun to watch em they dont even realize they have been targeted...poor bastards..usually never know what hit em..
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I think that the southern belle represented by Margaret Mitchell's Melanie Wilkes is about as stereotypical as they come. Scarlett was rejected by southern society because of her fiestiness, which runs contrary to the archetype at issue here, unless *I'm* misreading this entirely.

Either way - glad to hear you enjoyed what The Plains had to offer!

sunchaser said...

The coolest Southern Belle (even more than Scarlett O'Hara) was Bette Davis in Jezebel:
"Davis won her second (and last) Academy Award for her portrayal of the tempestuous, manipulative Southern ante-bellum New Orleans belle for Warner Bros."

Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it :)

Miss Scarlet said...

Gold Cup is like 15 minutes from my house. I've actually never been. FAUQUIER COUNTY RULES!;)