Thursday, December 21, 2006

Do You Hear What I Hear?

As a guitar player, singer, songwriter, and general sound junkie, music is very tightly intertwined with who I am and how I define myself. There are hundreds of songs for every mood, and simply hearing certain records can bring up vivid memories of past moments in time, complete with the emotions, scents, sights, and sensations that were originally there. The right piece can change your mood, provide insight into a situation that's troubling you, or make a great experience an unforgettable one.

And dammit, music is sexy.

I mean obviously, everyone has some understanding of its erotic potential, or Barry White wouldn't have a career. But the people who really get it, who dig deep and explore how different and unexpected types of music can change a romantic or sexual experience, have exponentially better sex lives full of undiscovered emotional nuance that those who dabble will only ever scratch the surface of. The best sonic works inject an explosive power, almost a third entity, into a tryst... a passion that can completely take over both parties. It almost reminds me of the difference between the black & white and color worlds in The Wizard of Oz.

So I'd like to discuss some of my favorite off-the-beaten-mattress sexy music. But first, let me give you a little bit of context. I'm into slow, powerful, sometimes subtle foreplay that builds anticipation until the top blows off. I enjoy exploring every inch of a woman's body, from the gentle contours of her ankles to the soft undersides of her breasts to that spot behind her ears where neck meets her jawline. I like to softly graze sensitive areas, hint at what's coming, and make good on my implied promises when you almost can't handle any more teasing. And yes ladies, I love to travel south. Most of the music I like during romantic liasons tends to enhance that vibe, although obviously, that's not always the mood I'm going for. So here comes LMNt's top several audio-sexual choices.

Fiona Apple, Tidal -- With her powerful, sultry voice, this whole album absolutely drips with sensuality. She is VERY aware of her sexuality, and manipulates it to the fullest in her voice. Seriously, if you've never played this one in bed, you've probably never lived.

A Perfect Circle, Mer de Noms & Chevelle, Wonder What's Next -- These two have similar feels. They're very loud and aggressive, but tantalizing. They don't give it to you all at once. They slowly let it build and back off when you think the big part's coming. The juxtaposition of heavy instrumentalism with slow, teasing vocals make the anticipation almost uncontrollable. This is great for hair pulling, neck biting, rhythmic, primal sex, where you slowly work each other into a frenzy.

House, Trance, or Electronica, pretty much any decent stuff -- This whole genre of music is all about manipulating and exploiting strong emotions. I can't really put into words the kind of effects they can have, because they're so varied. Any type of atmosphere you're in the mood for, there's an album that will make it stronger and sexier. Promise.

Depeche Mode, Violator -- Late 80s/Early 90s dance club alterna-techno-pop. Pounding, rhythmic bass, ethereal vocal stylings, REALLY gets me in the going. This is, again, great for animalistic passion.

Crowded House, "Fall At Your Feet" & "All I Ask" -- Very romantic. Perfect for slow dancing by candlelight, drinking champagne, and deep emotional lovemaking. If you've ever dreamed of doing it in a bed sprinkled with rose petals, this is the one for you.

Death Cab for Cutie, The Photo Album and Something About Airplanes -- I don't really have much to say here, because I'm not sure what it is about these that seems to work so well. You'll just have to try it.

Enya, Shepard Moons & Watermark -- I know, I'm actually saying good things about Enya. I checked, and my balls are still attached. But try one of these in a new context sometime. You'll thank me.

REM "Turn You Inside-Out" -- Ok, so REM is not sexy... most of the time. This particular song though, off their '88 album Green, is like REM on ecstasy. There's a powerful sexuality and dominant control vibe that really will turn you inside out.

And finally, my #1 sex album of all time is Buckethead, Colma -- this is not your average, heavy Buckethead album. Instead, it's a calming, ethereal, sonic landscape that's a mix of jazz, rock, and even flamenco. It's kind of an ambient, atmospheric thing that really makes you forget everything that may have been in your mind before you started playing it.

I really wish I could tell you more about these and why they mean so much to me (and I could probably keep writing this list for the next ten years), but music is all about emotion. Trying to explain the vibe these things create is a lot like trying to tell a blind man what blue looks like. There just aren't words for it. Hopefully, you'll check some of them out yourself and experience what I'm talking about. Feel free to add your own favorites in the comments section -- I always love to discover new stuff.

Oh, and if you choose to throw one of these albums on for your next romantic interlude, make sure you put the disc (or iPod or whatever) on repeat -- with the passion this stuff inspires, you'll most likely be going longer than the disc is, and losing the music mid-coitus is a bummer.

Btw, this post had an inspiration. Here's the credit where it's due. Thanks for starting this train of thought.



Random notes:

Had another First Phone Call last night, and this one was almost as good as the last was bad. She's not perfect, but definitely interesting, and I'm looking forward to the date we set up. I'll keep you informed.

Also, let's have a moment of silence for KathrynOn and Circle V. Today was a very bad day for DC Blogs.

7 comments:

KassyK said...

Good LORD, I think I just had an orgasm from reading this post. Damn.

Anyway--GREAT choices. In my top five sexiest albums of all time are Fiona's Tidal(First Taste and Slow like Honey are the best sex songs) and Depeche Mode's Violator. That album IS sex.

For me though my #1 favorite sex music is Tricky. Maxinquaye is one of the sexiest albums he has ever made. I give this one my enthusiastic vote bc its not only different but the music is just amazing. It turns you on, turns you out and makes you come. :)

-Best tracks on that album:

Overcome
Hell is Round the Corner
Suffocated Love

Trust me. :)

And like my post said (thanks for the mention by the way :))...anything motown or bluesy always does it for me...

LMNt said...

Ok Kassy, waaay too much there I'd like to respond to -- shoot me an email and we'll talk music.

Don Watkins said...

My favorite: Sara Bareilles

LMNt said...

Don -- Checked out her site... good call. She'll get added to the playlist.

Anyone else?? Bueller... Bueller...?

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean about the electronica. One night in college when I had Portishead's album "Dummy" on when things heated up. Freakiest. Sex. Ever.

Jo said...

I'd add Radiohead "OK Computer" to that list and a few random songs like Jeff Buckley "Lover You Shoulda Come Over" and Ali Farka Toure "Ai Du" (the song from Unfaithful). Agree wholeheartedly to Fiona Apple's Tidal and Portishead "Dummy". Any real blues always gets me going though.

minijonb said...

Awesome post. I'll second the Tricky and Portishead. And I'll add the Distinigration LP by The Cure, Born Slippy by Underworld and anything by Luna, New Order or Stereolab.

Cheers.