Thursday, March 22, 2007

Good Grief!!!

Ok, you guys seem to have finished the online dating faux pas post for me, so we're moving on today.

I'm noticing a disturbing trend lately in reading the work of our eligible, hot, and feminine dc bloggers. Go ahead, check out the links -- I'll still be here when you get back.

...

Ok, with me so far? Good.

What the eff is up with that? Since when did text messaging become a proper medium to take big steps in? I mean, it's great for a little flirting, a quick "I'm running late," or even a light conversation with a friend, but asking someone out, making the first contact after getting a number, and breaking up with someone are a little too significant for such a light medium. You've got a phone in your hand, right? Why not punch in those 10 digits and then hit the little green button with the phone on it? Actually connect with another human being in real time in a way you might possibly pick up things like *GASP!* inflection and mood. I know, I know... that's crazy talk, right?

Now, I know what you're thinking. "But I like texting. I mean, if I were talking, I wouldn't be able to edit my thoughts for clarity, spelling [ed. note: Now I know I'm talking crazy. Proper spelling in a text message? Silly LMNt!], and just the right oh-so-casual tone!" Well, that's the idea. Remember back in the day when we talked to each other? The lost art of conversation? Saying things as you think of them instead of before you'd checked them over 3 times? Those were good things. It'd be a shame to see them go extinct.

And if you really think about it, maybe these significant conversations would actually go more smoothly if you had a way to know what the receiver's mood is, and how they're actually feeling about what you have to say. Maybe that "no thanks" answer to drinks on Friday would be a "definitely!" if you had a little balls, or possibly if you realized their dog died that morning, they got fired that afternoon, and it might be better to ask another day. Strangely enough, when you actually listen to people, you can pick these things up. Not just from the words they say, but from the way that they say them.

We're human. Humans are emotional creatures, and when you interact in a text only medium, the only emotions that come through are the ones that are purposely inserted into the conversation. On the other hand, when you involve more of your senses, you can usually tell what people are really feeling. It's hard to hide it. They'll understand better where you're at, too. And believe it or not, that's a good thing. Little secret: People like to know that you like them. They just don't like to feel pressured or trapped. Maybe you don't sound as suave when every word isn't premeditated, but maybe, just maybe, that's a good thing.

Oh, and P.S.? It's weak. You come off as a totally coward when you text these things.



Breaking News

I've got a big surprise for y'all coming in tomorrow's Ask LMNt Friday. Hopefully it'll make it a little more fun and interesting. Stay tuned, and send in your questions (lmntalattraction [at] gmail [dot] com) -- the "to be answered/blogged about" pile's starting to get a little low.

10 comments:

Eric said...

I only like using the text message when I'm already out and it's to loud to talk. But seriously, its less effort to actually talk on the phone so why not just do that?

Anonymous said...

Ummmm . . . you know that Carrie Broadshoulders is a guy, right?

DCVita said...

You tell 'em LMNT!

I hate text messages with a passion! Is it bad that I hope some of them will graduate to emails?! haha. I really don't understand...are women scary on the phone or something?!

Anonymous said...

--Sorry if this posts twice.

I don't mind text messaging, but I hate texting on a regular basis, and I absolutely despise it when guys text me as a way to ask me out.

I met a guy while I was out a few weeks ago and gave him my number. He texted me 3 days later to inform me that his birthday was coming up. It's obvious that he was trying to start a conversation, but honestly, I expect a lot more out of a potential guy. Just a quick phone call to say hello, how you doing, wanna go do something...it's not hard!

Oh, and even if we are talking/dating, don't text me non-stop to see if I want to do something. Grow a set of balls!

Yeah...I have a strong opinion on the matter! :-)

I-66 said...

I think Lisa inadvertantly gave an example of the problem with text communication. Granted, I knew what she was talking about to begin with. And yeah, don't eat where you shit. Or something.

And really I've never made first contact via text because there are so many unknowns (does the person have to pay extra for texts, etc). I do use it frequently to find out where people are, or to suggest something to do... stuff like that.

Unknown said...

Phone calls get way more respect from me than texts. I know how hard it is to muster up the courage to call someone. However, there's nothing wrong with a little text flirting.

SWF42 said...

My son has a special ringtone for text messages. A loud voice says:

"You have a text message! That means someone thinks you're not worth the minutes!"

'nuff said.

Related note, I'm retraining all the men I know not to ask me out via Email. Pick up the fucking phone.

Lemon Gloria said...

swf41 - HOW are you training men to do this? Please, please, I want to know. Because I am about to tell a couple men, men who I do actually like enough to want to date just ONE of them, to fuck off completely.

SWF42 said...

Lisa, sometimes subtle works, like when I get a "Want to catch a movie Friday?" email, I can write back, "Maybe. Call me and we'll talk about it." Do that a few times, and the smarter ones catch on.

With the duller knives in the drawer, it takes telling them outright I don't like email invitations. It's lazy. Call me.

And, if nothing works, then there are other men out there who aren't phone-phobic.

Good luck!

Lemon Gloria said...

swf41 - Thank you! I will definitely try that!