Monday, March 19, 2007

No, Thanks... Part 1

So if you've been reading, it's no big secret that I like the personals. They're fun. Not only are they darn good entertainment, but I've met a lot of interesting people that way (some of my closest friends, actually). In fact, my most significant relationship to date started that way. We didn't hit it off romantically at first, but after a few years as friends, we started dating. While it didn't work out in the long run, it was a great experience at the time, I learned a lot from it, and it never would have happened if I'd never dabbled in online dating.

I've recieved a lot of questions from you female types about what I look for in an ad, and to be honest, there's not anything specific. It's more about how we match up and how the writer seems to fit with who I am. That said, there are a lot of things that will instantly kill any chance that I'll write you, and that's what I'd like to touch on today. If you're looking online for a quality guy, here's a few things you should avoid at all costs when you're writing your description of yourself and/or what you're looking for (with real examples from the wonderland of bad personals, otherwise known as Craigslist):

Negative Tone -- "so like, don't say looks aren't important, if, to you, they really are. or don't send a 5 year old pic of yourself and say that is the only pic you have. From 19-23 = no pics. your lying. don't say you want a FWB when you really want a LTR sex does not = a relationhip. Stop with the "What's up with the women around here" posts the women in this area act just like the men. so if your greedy, then the women you meet will be greedy. etc, etc"

First of all, you don't sound like fun. And really? That's what I'm looking for initially -- someone I can have a good time hanging out with. That's what's going to make me want to get to know you better. Secondly, ever dated a negative, pessimistic person before? Yeah, it kinda sucks. No thanks.

Bad Spelling/Grammar/Etc. -- See above.

I'm pretty darn smart, if I do say so myself. If your ad reeks of ignorance, we're probably not going to get along. Obviously, everyone makes a mistake here and there, so the occasional typo's really not going to turn me off. If you can't form a coherent sentence, though? Into the reject pile you go.

Getting Ahead of Yourself -- "I'm seeking a man who is looking for marriage and would like to have children."

Ok, I'd like to get married, too... someday. And only if I meet the right girl for it and we have a pretty successful long term relationship first. If you're sizing me up for marriage before I even send you an email, 1) I'm gonna feel a bit pressured, 2) I assume you're going to rush the hell outta me on a decision that's absolutely not to be taken lightly, and 3) if by some strange twist of fate, we end up dating long enough that marriage is a possibility, how will I know you want it because of who I am and how we fit together? 'Cause it seems a lot more likely that you wanted a warm body to fill that empty position at the head of the aisle. It's fine to say you want to get married eventually or that you'd like to have kids someday, but please don't focus on it. One sentence will do it. And don't say you're looking for a husband, say "I'd like to get married eventually."

Insulting My Whole Sex -- "DC full of uptight, obnoxious, narrow minded guys!"

Obviously, if you're posting a personal ad, you haven't found what you're looking for. That said, if you see every guy as "uptight, obnoxious, and narrow minded," maybe that says something about you. How would you feel if I said "all women are fat, stupid whores, but I'm looking for an exception"? Would that give you the warm fuzzies about me?

No Info About You -- "It would be nice to meet attractive guys who know how to spoil and take care of their woman. I am guessing those who won't will skip over my post? :( If you are the kind of guy that would recieve high regard and recommendation from all of your ex's or all the girls you have been with then you are the kind of guy id like to get to know. Looks are secondary to your personality so don't be bashful. Please, refrain from sending photos that are less then what you'd mind your family seeing and indicate something interesting about yourself including the type of person you seek and the kind of relationship (if you are even seeking a relationship) you'd like to obtain. All responses that are normal and reasonable will be responded to as promptly as possible, however; only if I feel there may be some sort of possibility of meeting."

Yeah, seriously. That's the whole ad. The only thing you've managed to get across about you is that you're selfish (the whole "spoil" thing). If you want somebody to buy something, you've got to give them a reason (probably several reasons) to want it. There are lots of women around here, what makes you stand out from the rest of them?


That's plenty for today, but there are a lot more things I've seen recently that I'd like to cover, so keep your eyes peeled tomorrow for part 2.

12 comments:

Red said...

From the female point of view:
I tended to stay away from ads with…
-You with your shirt off… flexing… in a mirror.
-Blatant use of kids, primarily your own, in pictures
-Glamour shots… yes, of men.
-The ad says only… “Contact me and I’ll tell ya.”
-Photos of the sunset or your car.
-You want me to be your tour guide since you are new to DC.

lidet said...

And I suggest not to join an online dating site that's free and doesn't have a way of dealing with scam and spam. Besides plentyoffish and okcupid,there are others like Free dating U.S.A. The last dating site in point have appended abuse reporting method besides every profile.

HomeImprovementNinja said...

I agree. I would some other ones like the banal ads with Cliches. Really, you're equally comfortable in jeans or a cocktail dress? That's such a great turn of phrase you have there! You should be a writer.

And the vague: Oh, you like "having fun"? Well, I don't clearly we're incompatible.

And the Sex and The City references: So you're a Carrie, but people think you're a Charlotte? Care to explain that to someone without a uterus? If I wrote in my add that people think I'm a Joe Namath, but really I'm a Johnny Unitas, would that make sense to you, lady?

LMNt said...

Red -- Yeah, guys can be pretty stoopid, too.

Lidet -- Thanks.

HIN -- Oh trust me, I'm definitely getting to cliches and vague. Love the Sex and the City point.

Carrie M said...

you forgot to mention the 'i don't usually do this' or 'my friends would laugh at me for being on X.com dating site'.

i took a very unscientific talley count of the cliches and adjectives men either described themselves as or that they wanted in a date and posted about that; the findings were sad...the truly original personal ad is a rarity.

Anonymous said...

I hate to have fun, and I'm never comfortable, no matter what I'm wearing.

Other than that, I'm a catch.

How's that? Will the proposals come pouring in?

Lemon Gloria said...

Or maybe, "I'm so much more comfortable out of my jeans or cocktail dress." Or is that sending the wrong message? :)

HomeImprovementNinja said...

"you forgot to mention the 'i don't usually do this' or 'my friends would laugh at me for being on X.com dating site'."

Agreed. When I see that, the implied message is "I'm not one of you sad, lonely people. I'm better than you, but I'm willing to stoop to your level, so be grateful."

Anonymous said...

People people offline that I've met online always gives me the creeps. Isn't there any way to meet people in "real life" anymore? Or does everyone do it via internet?

Unknown said...

Ugh...the spoil thing pisses me off. Relationships are give and take, not take take take. Leeches, man.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when guys just prattle off a list of physical traits (blonde, tall, leggy, nice dresser) they want in a woman and zero personality items. Are you looking for a show pony or a partner? If you are only worried about the glossy exterior then you will only attract shallow b!tches. Looks ARE in important but apparently it is the only thing so many guys think is important.

Another note to guys, please don't send pictures of your package or you flexing in a mirror or some freaky photo you took of yourself with a webcam. The self portrait of you with the green glow from the computer is not attractive and makes you wonder if this guy doesn't have a single friend to snap a photo of him or never attends a party where friends and family might have a camera.

dara said...

Writing "I'm materialistic, consumed with my career, generally sarcastic, occasionally mean, and I know more about baseball than you do" seems to work for me. But only when I post a picture of my boobs to go along with it.