Tuesday, April 10, 2007

How Hard is it to Eat Melted Chocolate?

I've tried three times in the last couple of weeks to make chocolate fondue. It's one of my favorite things, and I make it pretty damn well -- dark chocolate with Grand Marnier being my favorite variety. And also? Making and eating fondue with a bottle of wine is a great date-type activity.

But there's been a problem with it lately. Here's the thing. I'm all about discovery. I love making a connection with someone, and getting to know what's hanging below the surface. You see, people are really fascinating creatures. Especially members of the opposite sex. And double especially when there's a dose of good old fashioned chemistry involved.

I really get off on learning how people think. I like to hear about the experiences that have made them who they are, what their family was like growing up (and still is), what they did last weekend, and/or who their favorite author is. I light up when I get a long, personal email, I get giddy (hold on... manliness check. Yes, they're still attached) after a fun phone call, and when I get home from a real winner of a date? I'm walking on air.

Which leads us back to the fondue. You see, when you're a talker (like me), you're quite the fan of that discovery phase, you're laughing together, and you get caught up in a great conversation over wine? You tend to forget to actually make the fondue. Instead, you realize it's time to end the date, you've had a great time, and you still have an unopened pile of fondue ingredients. And then? It becomes very hard to eat melted chocolate.


Unrelated:

I had a female friend tell me this morning that it was that time of the month and she was "hormotional." I absolutely love this new hybrid word, and if I can get away with it? It's totally gonna get some good airtime.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I have that problem I always end up burning the bread or the rice. I'd be so much better off if I'd just not begin making them in the first place!

and hey, at least you have an excellent excuse to invite her over again--you've gotta make that fondue!

Anonymous said...

Anyone who wants to know what my family was like growing up, should probably have both the fondue and a couple shots of GM at the ready!

Though i'm a fan of chambord, myself. :o)

Miss Scarlet said...

I LOVE THAT NEW WORD!

hastalvistababy said...

See link re: melatonin and pineal gland: "People do mate more in the spring and summer. It might not sound very romantic, but this trend is linked to a hormonal response to a powerful but little recognised aphrodisiac – light."
http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/0-9/4health/sex/shi_spring.html

Ryane said...

hormotional. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That is priceless.

LMNt said...

Foxy -- That's exactly the kind of logic that made it happen 3 times.

Dagny -- Wow, remind me never to date/make fondue for you. ;-)

Scarlet -- Me too.

Lesser Being -- That's fascinating stuff. Thanks for the link.

Ryane -- For everything else, there's Mastercard. :-)