Thursday, February 22, 2007

She's as Cold as Ice

Ever have one of those moments where you say something in conversation that surprises you with how dead-on it is? Where you go "man, I need to remember that"? I had such a moment last night on the phone with a friend, and from it, we created the "iceberg" concept, which I'm sure will soon become a major part of my dating vocabulary.

You see, when you go on a few dates with someone and you're just starting to get to know them, as we all know, you're seeing one side of their personality. It takes a good amount of time to really know somebody. And when you're thinking things like "would this be a good match," or "wow, we have really similar perspectives on that," you know you're getting these vibes based on those initial impressions. You don't really know enough to figure these things out for sure. That makes me very hesitant to make definitative statements. I tell my friends (or think) things along the lines of "she really strikes me as..." or "she seems like x, y, or z."

So we came up with the iceberg idea.

Big Friggin' Iceberg

New people are like icebergs -- you just see a little, and the major stuff is hiding below the surface. I really like this analogy, and I'm running with it.

So from now on, there will be no more "seems like" from me. People will simply hear "yeah, she's got a great iceberg." Fun.


Other News:

New dating blog link over on the sidebar. Check out the girls at Smart and Single. They're fun.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

or in some cases it could be more like "iceberg straight ahead"...

Lemon Gloria said...

I like this iceberg analogy. And sometimes there's some very disconcerting stuff hidden.

Pagan Marbury said...

Great analogy. Iceburg is definitely going to get some air time.

Pagan Marbury said...

I mean "iceberg"

Anonymous said...

I'm with Anonymous. You could totally be the Titanic at any moment ;)

NotCarrie said...

Yes! Very good analogy...I would have to hope for that hott sex scene, though, if we're thinking Titanic. Haha!

Unknown said...

That iceberg thing is deep -- pun only mildly intended. Love it! - DC Concierge