Monday, February 5, 2007

How to Screw Up a Good Thing

I witnessed a tragedy on Saturday night.

You see, I was out with a few friends at a pretty cool, busy bar. And when I say "busy," what I mean is "so friggin' packed you can't move" or "you wait 20 minutes for your beer" or "sardine can." There were a LOT of people there. One of whom was my very attractive single friend we'll call Katie, and another was the attractive guy who almost picked her up, henceforth referred to as "Bob."

Like I said, Bob was a good looking gentleman, and he was a fun guy. He said hi, they started talking, and he ended up hanging out with us for most of the night. As a people watcher and a big fan of the dynamics of male/female interaction, I was fairly impressed with his game. They flirted, danced, and seemed to be into each other. There was a good amount of touching and Katie seemed to be pretty into him. He was doing all the right things.

When the end of the night rolled around, though, he blew it. He obviously liked her, and she made it fairly clear that she liked him, too. We all figured they'd leave together, and I know she was game for it. That's why I was stunned when he left. Why? Because he didn't ask what she was up to later, didn't suggest hanging out after the bar, and didn't even get her number.

What is that all about? The guy could have had an awesome fun-filled night with very little expectations, and he went home alone because he didn't pull the trigger. Not only did he miss out, but he left himself no options for the future. What are the chances they'll run into each other again in a city like DC? Not good.

Guys, please please learn to close the deal when you're having fun. It does no good to chat a girl up all night if you're not going to act on the opportunities that arise. If you've got a good interaction going and there seems to be chemistry, no girl is going to hold it against you if you offer her a ride home. Don't have the balls to ask for a private afterparty? Maybe the logistics are screwed up and it won't work that night? Then at least get her number and actually use it. When you don't have a way to follow up, not only could you miss out on a great time with a cool chick, but you also leave her confused and possibly a little hurt, wondering why you didn't take the initiative. Remember, the first thing that comes to a girl's mind is almost never "he didn't have the guts," but a lot more often "didn't he like me?"

Be a closer.



Other happenings:

It looks like the rumors of KassyK's demise may have been slightly exaggerated. That said, she seems to be in critical condition in the intensive care wing, so stop by, show some love, and tell her to stick around.

On the other hand, DC Cookie is going on hiatus. That sucks. Click your heels together and hope she comes back soon.

Lastly, it seems my "no chemistry" streak is coming to an end. I hung out with a great girl recently that I'm very much looking forward to seeing again. I think she is too, but it's too early to tell what, if anything, will come of it. I sense potential, so we'll see.

24 comments:

Mary Kate + Joe Battles said...

SO TRUE!!! Seal the deal, boys! This just happened on Tuesday to me. The guy didn't have the guts to ask for my phone number, so when I left he asked a friend of mine for it. Booooo.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I wish everyone could see this post. So many boys could use this advice.

So you liked my bar? It's getting more and more packed these days. When I first started going it was pretty empty and mostly full of hipsters. Now it's quite gentrified. Hmm.

Ally said...

Is it possible that this guy didn't want her number and just enjoyed the distraction while he was out? Maybe he has a girlfriend. You never know. You'd think if a guy was "brave" enough to chat up a stranger, he could ask for a number.

I-66 said...

Not necessarily, Ally. Some guys just lack the killer instinct. The knack for both sensing their opportunity and then grabbing ahold of it. Conversation with another person can be second nature to many people, but actually making the move to seal the deal (whatever the deal is) is not as easy for some as others.

Melissa said...

Mmmm. Hmmm.

Uh. I'm speechless. You know why.

LMNt said...

DCWeddingPhotog -- Wow, sorry he took the chicken route.

AsianLetteryChick -- Yes, your bar was fun. Feel free to email the link to said boys.

Ally -- It requires a completely different type and level of "brave." Talking to someone is very rarely a risk of rejection, while asking them for a number or to leave with you definitely puts that out there on the table.

I-66 -- Exactly. 25 Points.

Velvet -- Don't tell me you're surprised. I'm not.

Freckled K said...

His brother was still there after Bob left, and was aghast that he didn't get the digits. Mouth on the floor stunned.

But I wouldn't have gone home with him. I just wanted someone to take me a movie! But I saw the pics taken that night, and my man had some crazy eyes, so I'm considering myself lucky to have not gotten lucky.

And I'm kinda speechless myself!

LMNt said...

Freckled K -- Yeah, way to screw up that anonymity thing I'd cultivated for ya. It took me like ten minutes to come up with "Katie." Sheesh.

Jo said...

It's funny you should mention this, because it happened to a friend of mine a couple of months ago and I thought it was rather odd as well. I mean they were HEAVILY flirting, and then the guy just left.

No explanation, no goodbye. And he really seemed very forward throughout the entire conversation so I don't think he'd've gotten scared to ask for a number or have had doubts of her attraction towards him.

Anonymous said...

Two likely options: 1) married or 2) in a "serious" relationship. Not that either will last that long with behavior like that.

Melissa said...

Nice FreckedK outing herself. Well, at least next time you can just post her real name.

SWF42 said...

So, why didn't SHE get HIS number? She's having a great time, he's having a great time, first person says "gotta go," second person says, "here's my number/what's your number."

Seems to me both of them failed to close the deal.

Pagan Marbury said...

I agree with Anonymous, this guy was clearly "taken", one way or another. He was just out for a fun evening. Boys are not complicated. If they want to ask you out, they will.

But chin up, FreckledK. Boys are like buses- there'll be another one along in a minute.

Anonymous said...

At the risk of complete and utter embarrassment, I'm going to assume we're thinking of the same "great girl" you've been hanging out with. In which case, my sources tell me she's looking forward to seeing you, (a pretty great guy by the way) again soon too.

Melissa said...

OMG! WHO is that ANON??? BAD GIRL! BAD! I AM COMING OVER TO ENABLE PARENTAL CONTROLS ON YOUR 'PUTER!

Kidding! (She takes that shit seriously.)

Lmntal - I told you I only hang out with cool people. It's why I can't even stomach the mere mention of that, well, you know who I'm talking about.

Enjoy my friend! HA!

Anonymous said...

just another silly DC man...

I-66 said...

Oooh... Swf taking the girl to task for not initiating.

As a proponent of the idea that a girl can actually do that, I still never thought I'd see the day.

LMNt said...

Jo -- Crazy, isn't it?

Anon -- I definitely didn't get that vibe. Not to mention, as Freckled K mentioned, his brother was shocked that he didn't get the digits.

Velvet -- Guess you're right.

SWF41 -- She definitely would have. I don't remember all the details, but she didn't have the opportunity.

Pagan -- No, some of them are pussies. This guy wasn't taken.

Anon -- Thanks.

Velvet Again -- No comment. You and your friends are craaaaazy.

SGNC -- Hey now, watch who you're catching in those generalizations. We're not all the same.

I-66 -- I'm not surprised. She thinks like a man. In a good way.

Melissa said...

I wish I could get this foot out of my mouth.

SWF42 said...

I-66, that's what happens when little girls grow up to be women.

lmnt, stop giving away my secrets.

:-D

LMNt said...

Velvet -- HAHAHAHAHA. I kind of like it there. It's cute.

SWF41 -- I'd love to learn a few of your secrets firsthand. You know how I feel about older women. ;-)

Unknown said...

Where was the wingman/wingwoman in all of this? If one is too shy to close then they need a support person to help out. Or point the finger at. Depending on the situation. :)

Freckled K said...

SWF - I'm not at all shy about making a move when I'm REALLY into a guy. I don't do coy very well. This guy was the good-for-now guy and, while I enjoyed the flirtation, I wasn't exactly devastated that the evening turned out as it did. I was surprised that he didn't ask for my number, but that's only because he so actively pursued me throughout the night. He approached, he chatted, he bought drinks, and then he left. I just wonder what he got out of it.

SWF42 said...

Freckles, so you're the girl in question?

Thanks for posting that. I was curious about why a girl would let a guy go, if there was some mutual interest going on.