Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Don't Talk to Strangers?

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear someone complain that they're single and unhappy with it, but they're not out actively trying to be a social person. They sit at home when they're not at work, maybe they've got a profile online somewhere, but they don't really make an effort to bring new people into their lives.

If you want to be surrounded by fun, interesting people, you have to be a fun and interesting person yourself. You also have to meet a lot of them. I believe in making an effort to become a people magnet. Not just for cute girls, but people in general. I'm the guy who talks to the person behind me in line at the checkout or asks someone in the bookstore if they like the one they're reading. I flirt with cashiers and befriend waiters or waitresses. In short, I try to be an outgoing, friendly person.

The thing is, you never know where you're going to meet a really fun new friend or date. That frazzled woman at the grocery store who's trying to figure out how to tell if a mango is ripe? Her eligible brother could be perfect for you. The guy at the bar rooting for the opposing team? He could be your new workout partner or best friend. He may also be having a killer party on Saturday night.

Seriously, if you look at the people around you in your daily life as friends you haven't met yet, the world becomes a better place. Sure, sometimes someone is having a bad day and/or more afraid of strangers than the average, and you get a bad reaction. But in general, humans are social creatures -- we're pack animals -- and most people are pleasantly surprised when a friendly stranger starts a conversation. We all like the attention. Most of these brief interactions don't lead anywhere, but every once in a while you run into someone who you really have a ton in common with and make a cool new friend (or sometimes more).

Everybody's got a bit of an introverted side. I used to be a loner to the extreme. I think it starts when we're little and "don't talk to strangers" is pretty damn important. We're also pretty terrified of rejection in most cases. But the thing is, I realized that humans are happier when they're around others, and worked hard to overcome the attitudes that were holding me back. Now it's become habit -- I run my errands at the times when other people are doing the same, instead of trying to figure out when I can get in and out the fastest. If something interesting happens, I comment about it to the person next to me. When I see a girl I find attractive, I don't hesitate to say "Hi, how are you?" I try not to turn down social invitations whenever possible, even if I think I'm not in the mood. I'm usually in the mood by the time I get there, anyway. In short, I look for opportunities to interact with others.

Changing my outlook this way has done really great things for my social life, mood, and self esteem in general. Have any of you made the switch? How did it change your life?

14 comments:

Eric said...

I think it has a lot to do with being self conscious. There was definitely a point where in growing up where you just stop caring what other people think about you, which leads to becoming a more outgoing person, which definitely leads to a happy person in overall.

Anonymous said...

GREAT post! I think you couldn't have been more right about the world being a better place if you look at the people around you in your daily life as friends you haven't met yet. I used to work at a retail store as a cashier, and I LOVED it when guys would flirt with me -- it made the day go by so much faster. And I did get a couple of dates out of it too. So guys, don't be afraid to strike up random convos!

Melissa said...

I don't get it. Didn't you mock my Year of First Dates? That was my point, to get out there and meet as many people as possible.

KassyK said...

I've always been an "introspective extrovert". I love to do my own thing but I have a billion friends and I forget that others dont.

For me it seems weird that people wouldn't have a million friends...I keep in touch with high school friends, about 40 people from college, new DC friends, friends of friends and work friends...how people get to a certain age and have no friends is beyond me.

That being said, I think just being out there like you said is a great way to meet people if you are someone that is moving from nonsocial to social.

Being innately social, I guess I can't imagine it but if I wasn't this would be a good way to do it. Definately.

KassyK said...

PS I have met a zillion new friends from blogging as well. A great way to make new friends you may not normally travel in the same social circles as.

East Coast Teacher said...

I used to be so shy in grade school that my teachers were convinced I was mute.

Now, I'm always talking to people and love hearing about what makes them tick - maybe it's the journalist in me, always asking questions, but I love interacting with others and getting to know them, whether on a romantic/platonic level.

I agree, it definitely makes you a happier person, and you get to meet/interact with so many interesting personalities. I feel that way whether single or in a relationship. Going through life shutting yourself off from others is a pretty miserable existence, I think.

DCVita said...

I have recently tried opening up my social circle and I have met so many wonderful people. Some I would consider dating, others strictly platonic, but it has generally opened my eyes to new things. Each person you meet is so unique that they bring a special experience in your life. I think we need to embrace that mentality more. And though there are some crazies out there, you generally get what you give out.

DC Cookie said...

I suspect you and I would get along fabulously...

NotCarrie said...

This is definitely my philosophy. It's hard to remember to do it, but I definitely agree about facing each day with the mindset that you could meet your next best friend or significant other...or even just another person to know. It's like when I used to go out with this one guy friend who always headed straight for the couch at our favorite bar. How on earth was he going to interact with people if he was sitting in a dark corner? I can do that at home. I like to talk to new people when I go out.

One thing, though...I have to make myself stay at home on days off sometimes or else I end up spending a fortune on gas:(

But great post...and always flirt with the cashiers-they love it.

The Urban Urchins said...

Your post couldn't be more timely or more relevant. Just today I was catching up with a former coworker over lunch. I hadn't seen him in a long time, although we do keep in touch via email. He was asking me how dating was going, and I laughed and said that I was actually finding it pretty fun.

I also went on to describe the "old" and "new" me in terms of my social behavior. The "old" me (the one in a 10-year long relationship) never drank, hated going out, and really stopped making an effort to maintain and/or expand my circle of friends. A steady diet of that led to me feeling very unhappy, extremely stuck in that lifestyle, and not knowing how to find my way out.

Fast forward a little bit. Painful though it was, that relationship ended. I was determined to change a number of things about how I interacted with the world after seeing how badly I thought of myself (alone, loser, etc., etc.). That decision point and the subsequent chain of events was when I started being an Urban Urchin.

Almost immediately after being out on my own, I met and dated a man who basically wouldn't take no for an answer when I tried to get out of having a good time. Little by little, change started. No longer did I dread going out, but started to reach out and meet all kinds of new people. I relaxed a lot socially, realized I had a lot more self-confidence than I knew, and just took the plunge. Nowadays, I am happy to chat with people in public, trying to get them to smile; working on improving my interactions with friends and actively seeking new ones. Even though I stopped dating the man who turned me on to this mindset, I can now laugh that I am entirely comfortable with the prospect that my next date might be bad (he might have a great friend!). This way of living is just so much more fun and invigorating.

So yes, absolutely. And believe me, if I can do it, anyone can learn to change.

Miss M

Anonymous said...

Its very difficult when you get out the habit of being friendly to jump back into it. I think this is very good advice. I never think of the possibilities because I live in such a tiny freaking place, that I know almost everyone, or at least know of them. I do forget though that there are some newbies out there and by not being more outgoing (read shy) I am not doing myself any favors. I LOVE this blog.

LMNt said...

Eric -- I think you're totally right. It has a lot to do with growing into yourself and being secure with who you are.

Angeline -- Glad I can help your day go by faster.

Velvet -- Love ya, doll.

Kassy -- I'm actually quite jealous of your effortless social grace. Some of us had to learn it and still have to work at it sometimes. You should teach lessons to introverts. ;-)

Miss BEG -- Welcome to the club. It's fun, isn't it?

DCVita -- EXACTLY! Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

DC Cookie -- I suspect you're probably right... A lot of people I respect seem to hold you in equally high regard.

NotCarrie -- Eventually, it becomes such a habit that you don't really have to remember anymore.

Miss M -- "trying to get them to smile" really got my attention. That's exactly what my goal is when I talk to someone I don't know. You get it. Rock on!

Nicole D -- Move to DC already! Seriously! You're too cool to be trapped in a small town where you know everyone already.

Meokat said...

I completely empathize with Miss M. I was really really social and would talk to everyone until I started dating someone who wasn't as social and generally felt threatened by social interaction. It only took a year to train me OUT of being social and in to being clickish and unable, no, unwilling, to meet new people. He and I have since broken up, and its taken a while, but I'm getting the socialness back. I think not talking to people and not being outgoing subtly undermines a person's confidence, whether they mean it to or not. Cheers to putting yourself out there, kiddo.

The Urban Urchins said...

I personally can't believe Miss M was EVER shy (I've seen her work a room), but then again, I used to be a socially awkward dork myself. And now...well I'm a socially graceful dork. But I think you're onto something--once you get used to being friendly with people (and not just POTOSYMLTF--people of the opposite sex you might like to eff) it becomes second nature and you don't choke when it comes to talking to POTOSYMLTF.(or if you're not straight, POTSSYMLTF)--urchette.