Thursday, January 4, 2007

RoMANce

When I have the right girl around, I'm a total sucker for romance. I love the look on a woman's face that says she's excited and happy and it's totally my fault she feels that way (pretty similar to my enjoyment of certain aspects of sex, actually). The thing is, like we talked about here, when it comes to dealing with women, guys don't always get things right.

I mean, when most guys think about romance, the things that come to mind are flowers, sappy poetry, and candles. While I'm definitely not against those things -- I love to have random flowers delivered to her workplace and the jacuzzi tub in my bathroom goes great with a candlelight and champagne -- what most guys seem to miss is individualization. Sometimes the most romantic gestures that really make a girl weak at the knees are things that, on the surface, don't fit the classic stereotypes at all.

The best things are individually tailored to the woman on the recieving end. They reflect something that makes her unique and show your appreciation for her individuality. I know guys, this means you actually have to put some thought in it, but that's kind of the point. The right romantic move says "I was thinking about you and I want to make you happy," not "this is what my television tells me to do."

For example, a drum set can be romantic.

My ex and I were very good friends for a few years and dated for a few years after that. In all the time I'd known her, she mentioned fairly regularly how she had always wanted to learn to play the drums. Her standard reaction to good music was air drumming. She was already a gifted musician -- a classical piano player who could have easily majored in it had she decided to go that route, and she taught lessons for extra income. So I knew she understood the basic concepts and had the dedication to learn how instead of being excited over it for a month or two and then letting it go. She had also moved into a house with a basement in October, so the space was there. I decided to get her a drum set and lessons for Christmas last year.

She was going home for the week before Christmas and coming back a couple days before, so I told her I needed her keys while she was gone. I let the roommates know what I was up to so they wouldn't be surprised by my presence, and started working. Got a great set from a buddy at Guitar Center, lined up an oustanding local teacher, pre-paid a month's worth of lessons, made sure I had all the necessary accessories so she'd be ready to go, and assembled the set in the basement. I also brought one of my guitar rigs over so she'd have someone to jam with. When I finished with the construction, I used a big blanket to cover it up and attached a giant bow. From the bow, I ran the ribbon across the floor, up the stairs, and tied it to the doorknob. I took a small piece of the leftover ribbon and tied it into a little bow. This was attached to a note that said "Find the rest of me," which I wrapped up in a little tiny jewelry box and put under the tree. I also wrapped a "Drum Set Basics" book and dvd up and put it on top of the drumset. Inside was a card that explained I'd taken care of her first month of lessons and gave all the contact info to set them up. Finally, I moved a tv and dvd player downstairs so that she could see the dvd while practicing and/or play along with music.

I made sure I was at her house when she got home so we could do the Christmas gift exchange before she accidentally found anything she shouldn't, and her reaction was priceless. Not because I went the generic "romance" route, but because to her, this was the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for her. I'd put some serious thought into finding something that she really wanted, that nobody else would have given her, and took care of every single little detail. It demonstrated the most important part of any romantic gesture -- thought. When they say it's the thought that counts, it's really true. The actual gift meant nothing compared to the careful consideration, time, and planning that had obviously gone into it, and the fact that it was designed specifically for her. I'd paid attention to something that made her special. It may have been the most romantic thing I've ever done.

Another big key to making romance work is the element of surprise. Anything dependable or predictable loses its impact. As much as every girl swears they want romance, if she got flowers every day, every date, or on any kind of predicable schedule she'd get used to it. These things can easily be overdone or underdone, but it's being predictable that kills their value. To be truly romantic, you have to keep her on her toes.

I have a friend who has a brilliant way of handling it. He's a bit of a geek and used to play Dungeons & Dragons when he was younger. Apparently, a big part of the game involves dice with strange numbers of sides. He's a romantic guy who really loves his girlfriend, and he understands the concept of unpredictability. So what did he do? He went out and bought himself dice with 30 sides. He likes to make a small romantic gesture at least once a month, but in order to keep from becoming predictable, he rolls the dice every time he does something. The number that comes up is how many days away the next something happens. It's a little too systematic for me, but it works, and I think it was a really creative way of problem solving. Like a romance-nerd MacGuyver or something.

So if you've ever heard "you should be more romantic" from your girlfriend, keep in mind two things: individualism and unpredictability. Use them as a guide and you'll never hear it again.

19 comments:

Kathryn Is So Over said...

Spot on, LMNT. And though you're pretty sure this was the most romantic thing you've done, something tells me it's not the most romantic thing you'll ever do. Take note, ladies.

KassyK said...

I tend to agree with Kathryn...I have a feeling this is just the first hugely special/romantic thing you have time. Great job and great post. :)

Carrie M said...

my god, you really do get it. please start teaching classes to men in the DC area. immediately.

LMNt said...

Kathryn & Kassy -- I think you guys misunderstood me. I really enjoy this stuff and do a lot of it when I have a girl who deserves it in my life... this was by far not the first or most romantic one, just an example. I think I meant it was probably my favorite overall experience in the romance department.

Kathryn -- Thanks for the (second) endorsement.

Carrie M -- Interestingly enough, I've actually done that before. Fun experience. Oh, and flattery will get you everywhere... tell me more about me. ;-)

Reddiekim said...

I have to admit that I got teary-eyed reading this post. A drum set is a totally amazing gift by itself, but it really is the personal thought that touches me. What I like most are little notes of love, kind of like the ones my mother used to leave in my lunchbox every now and then. Just a little piece of paper on your pillow that says "I miss you" or "I'm thinking about you." In fact, this year I moved and haven't found a job yet in my new city. So for Christmas I decided to make a photo album of "our last year together" and write a personal note in the front of the album. I think it was the least expensive gift of Christmas and it was also one of the favorites. One other thing that my boyfriend and I do is not to make a big deal of something with gifts, but just say ok tonight I'm going to drop everything and just be with you-- play a game, make dinner together, or watch a movie and cuddle. It doesn't have to be a big deal, just the sincere thought.

LMNt said...

Kim -- I totally agree on all counts. For our anniversary, one year when we were both in a tougher place financially, I got 6 or 7 Hallmark cards, wrote personal notes in them, and hid them around the house in places where I knew she'd find them. Sometimes the smallest things can be the biggest ones.

Carrie M said...

you taught?!?! you have piqued my interest, pray tell!

Carrie M said...

btw, i didn't mean to sound like i couldn't believe you taught, i just didn't know you would actually say that you *did*...just to clarify.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could teach an online course in romance because DC is not the only place where men are lacking in this department! (Move here please LMNtal ;D )

LMNt said...

Carrie -- A guys gotta have some secrets, right?

Nicole -- You still haven't told me where I'm supposed to be moving to. Maybe you should come to DC. And tell the boys to read the blog.

Anonymous said...

Just curious, why did the break-up happen? I mean you do all this romantic stuff and it ends, what's up with that?

KassyK said...

Ahhhh gotcha. :) I love that you are romantic and enjoy it.Many guys do it just to do it but not because it gives them pleasure to make someone else happy. That is just lovely.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the unexpected gifts at unexpected times are a tried and true method. Unfortunately I have a friend who, like Nicole says, just doesn't get it. He buys expensive items far to early in the dating phase and ends up creeping girls out.

Anonymous said...

That's too funny about the 30 sided die. I heard dating guru David DeAngelo of "Double Your Dating" fame mention the same story.

LMNt said...

Anon -- In the grand scheme of having a great relationship, romance is one small piece of the puzzle. Something else was missing.

Kassy -- Glad you like it. When are you taking me out?

Beamtendave -- I know a guy or two like that myself. I'm sure he'll get it one day.

Anon -- I've never met the guy, but we've got a few mutual friends. That's actually part of the "teaching classes" story alluded to above.

Harleyblue said...

You actually get it. WOW! It's not what you do but the meaning behind it.

LMNt said...

HarleyBlue -- Spread the word... all guys should "get it" somehow.

Asian Mistress said...

Romance-nerd McGuyver...love it!

I had a boyfriend once that bought me 11 lbs. of sour gummy candy because he knew I liked it. OK, so it was a bit overkill, but talk about a sweeping gesture! Haha.

Slim said...

Well you've certainly touched on many of the finer points of romance. I am lucky enough to have a man who also gets it. It's not about monetary value, (though, yes, the drumset story is lovely), you're right-on that it's about the thought and individuality. I one day came home to love notes on scraps of paper hidden throughout the apartment, and it made my week. Zero dollars spent, lots of thought and effort put in. I one night put m&m's on his pillow in the shape of a heart before going to work, knowing that he wouldn't find them until he went to bed, knowing that I thought of him though I wouldn't be there. Priceless, and he loved it.

Nice post. Just found your blog, and I'll be back.