Tuesday, January 9, 2007

How NOT To Ask a Girl Out...

My friend Kara was a blogger for a long time. She had a few blogs for a few years, and although they were never big in the DC blog scene, she definitely had a reader or two. Now that she's got a great guy and the rest of her life is wonderful, she's boring (Hi Kara! Love ya!), so she recently decided to retire her last remaining blog. The perfect boyfriend was one of the major discussion topics on the blog in the final few months, so it wasn't exactly a big secret.

Over the weekend, she got this email:

From: Douchebag Extraordinaire* (jackass @ xxxxx)
To: kara @ xxxxx
Subject: Hi Karen

glad to see a blog is over.. there are wayyy to many of them.. anyway just wondering if you want to add me to the guys you try to date on the web.. I live in [Suburb], work in [City], and would love to meet for dinner or lunch...

I also run a Scrabble group in [City] if you are a Scrabblista...

Douchebag Extraordinaire

Thanks



(*name changed to protect the guilty)

Now, I'd really love to go ahead and rip into this guy, but to be completely honest with you, Kara did it better than I ever could, so I'll just let her take over from here:

From: Cool Kara (kara @ xxxxx)
To: Douchebag Extraordinaire (jackass @ xxxxx)
Subject: Re: Hey Karen

Absolutely NOT. When will you get the hint? I'm pretty sure you're the same Douchebag Extraordinaire who has been emailing me occasionally on friendster and myspace for over two years. I have never responded to you because I have absolutely no interest. But I want you to know, now that you've emailed me directly, I'm blocking your address.

And, here's a few tips for you, out of the goodness of my heart. If you honestly expect to get a woman to go out with you, you might try:
- Getting her name right. I have never been a Karen.
- Not insulting blogs, when you were clearly on one she wrote for several years.
- Telling something about yourself, other than your location and desire to meet.
- Not asking a happily committed woman (which you could easily find out on Friendster, MySpace, or my blog) if she wants to add you to the guys she tries to date on the web. Patently offensive on many levels, from your arrogance to your ignorance and back again.
- Not email her every so often for OVER TWO YEARS, without ever getting a response, and thinking this time will be any different.
- Cleaning up your atrocious grammar and spelling. I'd mop the floor with you in Scrabble!

Thanks!

Kara



I really don't know what to say.... are people actually this stupid in real life or was this guy trying to be a troll and start some nastiness?

They say the definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results, but I doubt this dumbass would get results even if he tried different things.

Morals of the story: 1) Don't be a douchebag and expect a woman to date you anyway. 2) If you're gonna try to ask out a girl you don't know, use the resources you have available to actually learn a thing or two about her and determine if you two would be a good match BEFORE you start typing.

I just don't know what to say. I'm stunned.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for protecting my identity.

what a DOUCHEBAG!

he needs lessons, LMNT. seriously.

DCVita said...

I think it is a sad state we are in that people now feel they can use email, myspace, etc to do what they should do in person. Granted, I am sure your friend did not need a stalker as well. And I think due to the fact that some people hide behind thier computers in pursuit of a relationship (not knockin on online dating services- just responding to douchebag's tactics)people have now become socially awkward. And thus you have stupid people running rampant on cyberspace and occassionaly on the street or at your local hangout spot.

I-66 said...

I was kinda holding out for him actually being named Douchebag Extraordinaire. That would've made my day.

Carrie M said...

ain't that the truth, DC vita? people think it's okay to act completely inappropriately behind the guise of their computer screen. people do it in person though too - it never ceases to amaze me how people talk to other people and think it's okay. one time in a bar, a guy looked at me then and at my chest and said, 'i'd like to do a faceplant on those.' i nearly swooned, let me tell you.

LMNt said...

Kara -- No sweat, darlin'... Somehow I doubt even the best lessons would help our friend Db E, though.

DCVita -- Ever read the Rants and Raves section on Craigslist? Perfect example of the negative aspects of internet anonymity.

I-66 -- I think that would've made my whole year.

Carrie M -- I'd like to do a faceplant on those. Let the swooning begin.

Carrie M said...

*sigh* just when I think I couldn't crush on you anymore...

Mary Kate + Joe Battles said...

people are crazy when they get on the dotcom, aren't they? ;-) Just as bad in real life, though.

One time while I was in line at Subway, this guy behind me said, "Hey, you look like you work out." Now that's HOT. Wanted to jump his bones right there, I tell you...

LMNt said...

Carrie -- I know... it's a popular opinion.

DCWeddingPhotog -- That's pretty tame. I'm sure he could have done a LOT worse. Like the "moon pants" one or something.

Ryane said...

What a stud. All us gals should be looking for a little more of that in our lives...;-)

Let us all pray that troll does not piss in the gene pool...